Basil is the lead partner of Jackson McDonald’s Projects, Infrastructure and Construction team.
For over 25 years he has practised in the areas of contracting law relating to major projects and infrastructure, insurance, commercial litigation, Occupational Safety & Health and general legal services. Basil has assisted local and multi-national clients with all forms of contracts, including building contracts, project management contracts, consultancy contracts, contracts for the supply of goods and services, contracts for the purchase of goods and services, developing full suites of contracts for major contractors (including in relation to WA’s 2 major PPP projects), FPSOs (Floating Production Storage Offloading platform) and assisting with the contracts relating to several power stations.
Basil has advised a number of multinationals involved in the resource industry (supplying the mining industry with products and services), the energy (oil, gas and coal) sector and construction and engineering industries in connection with their Western Australian operations including major contractors based in France, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Norway, Singapore, the UK and the US. Basil has advised numerous clients in connection with dispute resolution by guiding matters in the Supreme Court, District Court, arbitrations, expert determinations, adjudications and mediation concerning defective workmanship, contribution and indemnity claims in tort, standard form building and engineering contracts involving, inter alia, variations, extensions of time, liquidated damages and damages for delay etc.
Basil is currently the National Chair of the Society of Construction Law Australia.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Society of Construction Law Australia, Current Chairman of the Board
- Law Council of Australia, Committee of WA Construction Group
- Committee, WA Professional Services Network
- Committee Member of MBA WA Construction Council
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Resolution Institute
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
Awards & Rankings
- Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific Directory 2017, 2018 - Construction
- Best Lawyers 2017 - Construction/Infrastructure law, Insurance law and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Doyle's Guide 2016, 2017 - recommended WA Construction lawyer
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, 2017, 2018 - Construction